Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I am become ScienceGirl, Destroyer of Liturgies, Part the First


Ah, liturgical abuse.

I have become well acquainted with it. But can I truly complain, in all fairness?

No.

For all the messed up stuff I've seen priests do over the years, I know that I have Destroyed the Liturgy uncountable times myself.

1. I Have Committed Liturgical Dance

Yes. Oh, but yes.

During Christmas Eve Mass, no less.

And it was spontaneous liturgical dance, at that!

I remember how beautiful the candles were, flickering all over the altar and near the side altar. The changing lights made me think of the angels someone was droning on about, and I had to dance. And sing.

The joy and uplifting beauty of this Mass moved me quite literally.

I lurched about. I waved my arms. I chanted words understood only by myself and the Lord.

It was 1984.

George Orwell got it just slightly wrong.

Big Brother was not watching me, but the priest and most of the congregation were.

Congregational Reverence: TERMINATED!

And thus began, at the age of two years, my path of Liturgical Destruction.

2 comments:

  1. Pedantic ClassicistMay 31, 2011 at 9:24 PM

    "It was 1984... Big Brother was not watching me, but the priest and most of the congregation were."

    In Soviet Russia, Mass assist at YOU!

    ;)

    ALSO: 1000th hit! Woohoo! And congrats. Magnopere digna es!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pedantic ClassicistMay 31, 2011 at 9:35 PM

    SHE CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH, SHE CAN'T BE REASONED WITH... SHE DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR... AND SHE ABSOLUTELY *WILL NOT STOP*--EVER!-- until you are DISTRACTED.

    ha ha I just noticed that Christmas Eve Mass 1984 would have been just a month or so after the movie was released: I see what you did there. I salute you, madam!

    Double post FTW!

    ReplyDelete